Monday, November 19, 2007

Friday morning, Cesky Krumlov, Czech Republic and then a drive to Hallstat, Austria.

..........................................................
Oh to wake up to this every morning...



Jana, who I mentioned in my previous entry, is a master hostess. That food is JUST for Sarah and I. We woke up at 7am and I opened our door to pick up the food Jana told us would be waiting. When I saw this, I assumed it was for all the guests they were housing (3 rooms total) and I had to tip toe, in my pajamas, up to the third floor to determine that there was, in fact, two additional breakfast spreads identical to ours in front of the other two rooms. Wow.







I treat Sarah to breakfast in bed like this in LA every day. If she tells you otherwise, it's part of the way she verbally abuses me around other people... but at least she's not hitting me as much.









After breakfast we walked up to Krumlov Castle to sign up for a tour... This is looking out over the town of Krumlov.












And this is me, pretending that I own the place. Apparently royalty walked like this... or at least I imagine that they did.









The Vltava River flows through, or rather, AROUND, Krumlov. Penzionek Olsakovsky is down at the end of that bend on the right side of the river.

Apparently floating the river in an intertube is about the best way to see Krumlov. This would only be feasible in sometime other than November... We were forced to walk.







some shots from around Krumlov...
















Jan, Jana's husband, was able to drive down from Prague early that morning - so we were able to meet him and they invited us to go to lunch at one of their favorite spots. This is on our walk to the restaurant: daughter Jarmilka running along on the cobblestones. Effortlessly cute.
















The 5 of us at lunch - without question THE highlight of our trip. They were wonderful friends that made it very hard to leave Krumlov.







We tore ourselves away from the Olsakovskys and left Krumlov feeling remarkably ambivalent: On the one hand, seeing a beautiful place like this and meeting wonderful people like those is what makes traveling incredible... but then you don't want to leave. (this is one of my favorite photos from the trip. Click on it to see it larger.)




We drove out of the Czech Republic and into Austria arriving just before dark in a little town called Hallstat. We pulled in just before dark so I don't have many photos... but here's a good one to end on:

No comments: